Overview of the Awards Program
The National Managers’ Community (NMC) works with and on behalf of managers to strengthen the public service. A healthy and vibrant managers’ community is critical to the successful delivery of key government priorities such as public service renewal.
To reach its goals, the NMC focuses its efforts and energies on programs, services and activities in the following three areas:
- Voice and influence: Managers and senior leaders partner to make positive changes that facilitate serving our government and Canadians.
- Engaged managers: Managers are committed and work to make improvements that contribute to employee engagement and citizen satisfaction.
- Relevant and sustainable NMC: Managers and senior leaders have the capacity to work as a horizontal collective through the NMC.
The new NMC Leadership Awards were launched in May 2011 in celebration of NMC's 10th anniversary to recognize leaders who have contributed significantly to achieving the goals of the NMC.
Nominations for NMC Awards
Nominations can be made for the following awards:
- NMC Regional Honours Award
- NMC Mike Nurse Manager of the Year Award
- NMC Ambassador Award
- NMC Community of Practice Award
- NMC Regional Award of Excellence
Deadline for Nominations
The deadline for nominations has been extended to Friday, May 24, 2013.
Process for Nominations
- Any public servant can nominate a colleague or an employee for the NMC Awards.
- Only Regional Coordinators and Governing Council members can nominate a region for the NMC Regional Award of Excellence.
In order to nominate an individual, you must:
- Complete the nomination form, demonstrating how the individual or team meets the selection criteria.
- Attach a signed letter of endorsement from the nominee’s supervisor as well as from one other person (except for the NMC Ambassador Award).
- Send your nomination to the Awards Program Coordinator.
Letters of endorsement from the nominee’s supervisor and one other person should be addressed to the nominator, must refer specifically to the nominee and substantiate the reasons for supporting the nomination.
Note: For the NMC Mike Nurse Manager of the Year Award, the selection committee will consider only nominations that have been prepared and submitted for the NMC Regional Honours Award.
Recognition of Recipients
All award recipients will be recognized at the next NMC Professional Development Forum (date tbc). Recipients of the NMC Regional Honours Award will also be recognized prior to the Forum during various events in the regions.
How Are Decisions Made?
A selection committee will review all submissions and make a recommendation to the Governing Council, which will make the final decision.
For Information Contact:
Regional Coordinator, Saskatchewan and
Coordinator of the NMC Leadership Awards Program
National Managers' Community
400 - 2220 12th Avenue
NMC Regional Honours Award
This award allows for each of the 14 NMC regions to recognize an exemplary manager in their region. Along with being honoured in their region, all recipients of the NMC Regional Honours Awards will be assessed by a national committee, and one individual will be selected to be the recipient of the NMC Mike Nurse Manager of the Year Award. Selection criteria are aligned to the key leadership competencies: management excellence, engagement, values and ethics, and strategic thinking.
- Shows outstanding leadership in setting a vision and achieving results.
- Demonstrates the ability to motivate others and fosters an environment that allows others to contribute fully toward the attainment of goals.
- Has the confidence to stand alone and make tough decisions.
- Acts with fairness and fosters a climate of transparency, trust and respect.
- Encourages innovation and intelligent risk taking, creating an environment where creativity is fostered and mistakes are accepted and learned from.
Individuals working in all disciplines at a manager level with responsibility for managing and leading teams. NMC staff and governing council members are not eligible for this award.
Nomination Form for the NMC Regional Honours Award (DOC, 135 KB) *
NMC Mike Nurse Manager of the Year Award
This award recognizes the top NMC Regional Honours Award recipient that best exemplifies what Mike Nurse inspired managers to be. Mike was a key builder for the NMC. Throughout his career he encouraged managers to be courageous, take risks, support and value employees, lead by example, and go the extra mile to give employees what they needed to be productive in their work and engaged in their organizations.
- Same as for the NMC Regional Honours Award
All recipients of the NMC Regional Honours Award from each region, province or territory will be considered as nominees for the NMC Mike Nurse Manager of the Year Award. One individual will be selected as winner.
NMC Ambassador Award
This award recognizes a senior executive who demonstrates strong engagement with the NMC and whose efforts result in significant regional and/or national impacts that positively affect the community of federal public service managers.
- Actively works to increase awareness of the NMC, its programs and services.
- Has gained respect of his or her colleagues and influences them to positively support the work of the NMC.
- Imparts wisdom, frank advice and guidance, and contributes to the goals of the NMC.
Senior managers (EX-01 and above) who demonstrate strong sponsorship, engagement and support of the NMC during the previous year. NMC staff and governing council members are not eligible for this award.
Nomination Form for the NMC Ambassador Award (DOC, 125 KB) *
NMC Community of Practice Award
This award recognizes an individual or a two-person team from the NMC Communities of Practice who has achieved outstanding results and demonstrated commitment and dedication in the delivery and/or practice of NMC learning programs.
- Delivers sessions over and above what is expected, and/or achieves significant results in the implementation of learning practices in their workplace.
- Consistently receives exceptional feedback from session participants and/or acknowledgement from their organization of the positive results achieved in applying their practices in the workplace.
- Contributes new ideas and techniques that enhance program outcomes and supports, and mentors or coaches other members of their Community of Practice.
- Profiles and raises awareness of the goals and objectives of the NMC.
An individual or a two-person team from the NMC Community of Practice who delivers NMC learning programs within the Government of Canada. NMC staff and governing council members are not eligible for this award.
Nomination Form for the NMC Community of Practice Award (DOC, 151 KB) *
NMC Regional Award of Excellence
This award recognizes 1 of the 14 NMC regions that has achieved outstanding results and made significant improvements over the last year in engaging managers.
- Achieves significant results for their managers and their region through engagement programs and service delivery.
- Actively works to increase awareness of the NMC.
- Has an engaged local steering committee that develops and shares best practices in community building, and builds strong, collaborative partnerships with stakeholders and other groups.
- Supports the overall NMC and regions in reaching out to the community of managers across the public service, e.g., sharing best practices, locally produced materials, intelligence, etc.
This award is intended for an NMC regional group (province or territory) that has achieved outstanding results in engaging managers in their communities. Note: Only Regional Coordinators and Governing Council members can nominate their region for the NMC Regional Award of Excellence.
Nomination Form for the NMC Regional Award of Excellence (DOC, 129 KB) *
About the Award
The awards were created for the NMC by Stephen Brathwaite, an artist in the Ottawa area. Stephen was inspired by the award winners as he created these awards. Each one is a little bit different as are all of the recipients. In a couple of cases an opportunity was made from a mistake. Stephen likes the qualities of glass both enduring and fragile. He said he enjoyed treating the NMC visual and the quotes by Mike Nurse in a playful way and putting them into the Canadian context among the etched maple leaves.
Stephen and we hope the recipients enjoy these pieces for their own qualities and unique differences.
NMC Leadership Awards - Archives
* If you require a plug-in or a third-party software to view this file, please visit the alternative formats section of our help page.